employment at jilly’s
Below you will find all the information you need to become an employee at JiLLy’s.
You will find our online application HERE
Retail Store Associate
The Retail Store Associate is a position that consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. Details of each duty will be trained on the job. Retail sales associates are expected to provide courteous and quality service to all customers. A retail sales associate should be able to connect well with people. Specific education, as such, is not required in order to perform this job. However, periodic training will be provided in order to help the associate excel at work. Most retail store associates will be on their feet for majority of their shift. They are the front lines of our business and serve as the go-to person for all customers for assistance.
- Greet ALL customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise
- Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers
- Properly Ticket, arrange and display merchandise to promote sales
- Place special orders or call other stores to find desired items
- Demonstrate use or operation of merchandise to customers
- Clean shelves, counters, tables and all areas of retail store as directed
- Exchange merchandise for customers and accept returns as per store policy
- Bag or package purchases with care
- Help customers try on or fit merchandise
- Inventory stock and requisition new stock
- Must be able to lift up to 50lb
- Must be able to climb a 6ft ladder
- Keep All merchandice with proper folding technique and organization
Food Preparer / Server
The Food Preparer is a position that consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. Details of each duty will be trained on the job. The concession worker will have direct contact and interaction with customers when receiving orders. They work as a team to perform all of the duties below so that the business functions as an efficient assembly line. Concession employees have to maintain a clean and safe work station that passes local health inspections and sanitize all equipment and surfaces that come in contact with food. Food service employees are expected to handle customers, food products, and equipment with utmost respect and care.
- Greet ALL customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs
- Preparing of fresh and frozen food products
- Daily heavy and light cleaning and sterilization of food surfaces and equipment
- Keep vessels containing cups, napkins, condiments and straws continually stocked and full at both the front and back of the house
- Learning proper cooking / preparation techniques and recipes for menu items
- Receiving and stocking of deliveries and products
- Must be able to lift up to 50lb box
- Must work in a team environment
Maintenance Staff is a position that consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. Details of each duty will be trained on the job. Maintenance staff are our associates who work throughout most of our stores. There is not much interaction with customers, however, they should be prepared for that likeliness. Also, the scope of the position varies from changing light bulbs to cleaning large spills.
- Maintain a log of all duties within routine checklist
- Changing of property light bulbs and fixtures
- Keeps all store fixtures in good working order through out all stores
- Cleaning and organization of back room areas and stock rooms in multiple stores
- Employee bathroom maintenance
- Front of the house stock running
- Light and heavy cleaning duties
- Must climb 12’ ladder
- Must lift up to 75lbs box
- Trash and cardboard removal from all stores
Warehouse / Inventory Control
The Inventory Associate is a position that consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. Details of each duty will be trained on the job. Warehouse personnel are responsible for the day to day filling, restock, counting, receiving, and accountability of company inventory. They will maintain stock levels through out all stores of the company. There is not much interaction with customers, however, they should be prepared for that likeliness. Counting and ticketing merchandise. Warehouse personnel may also take on the role of store associate or Maintenance Staff from time to time.
- Maintain proper levels of stock for all retail stores
- Process, receive, and ticket all deliveries
- Keep order on Level 2, the hole, and check in counter
- Prepare, package and ship all special orders and Web Orders
- Complete organization of all company hangers, fixtures, and stock
- Prepare inventory reports and order forms for reorders and fill ins
- Transports all merchandise via shopping carts to all stores
- Handles all store transfers and counts
Graphic Design / Custom Merchandise
The Customs Associate is a position that consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. Details of some duties will be trained on the job. Customs Associates will handle many areas of the company from designing signs and banners to store merchandising and set up. Proficiency of design software like Corel Draw, Photoshop or Illustrator is a must. Creating marketing materials such as rack cards and coupons for both print and web. Customs associate will also spend a lot of time working with customers on both the sales floor and behind the counters. Customs Associate may also play the role of Store Sales Associate.
- Prepare graphic art for company marketing purposes
- Prepare graphics and designs for customers special orders
- Work with embroidery and cutter machines with full knowledge of JiLLy’s custom counters
- Design, print and placing of all interior store signs and sale signs.
- Create banners for website placement
- Prepare art templates and folders for custom computers
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Corel Draw or Illustrator
The Sales Clerk is a position that consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. Details of each duty will be trained on the job. The sales clerk plays a vital role to our company as they are the area of direct contact with each purchasing customer. Fluent comprehension and speaking of the English language is a must. Sales clerks will handle a wide scope of responsibilities from cash register tenders to retail store associate.
- Responsible to all monies in cash register
- Process customer transactions
- Full interaction with customer during check out process
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of check out counter and areas surrounding
- Keep all register related products fully stocked at all times
- See duties of store associate
The Arcade Associate is a position that consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. On the job training will be provided by management. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. The arcade staff will be responsible for keeping a change bank and giving change to customers. English language is a must.
- Giving change to all customers and assisting with problems at video game
- Constant cleaning of all video equipment and common areas of property
- Garbage removal
- Assist with staff at Ice Cream Factory for clean ups and stock refills as needed
- Assist with bike rentals in parking lot
- Light maintenance to video games and moving of equipment
- Assist with mechanic as needed
Parking Lot Staff (Must have valid driver license)
The Parking Lot Staff is a position that consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. On the job training will be provided by management. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. This is a position that is outside. Employees must wear proper sunblock and sunglasses during the day time. Must have a valid driver license.
- Responsible for collecting payment for parking fees and maintaining a bank
- Assist with bicycle rentals and locking of equipment
- Move and retrieve customer vehicles as needed
- Observe all vehicles entering and exiting parking lot
- Assist arcade staff as needed with those duties
- Cleaning and light maintenance of the property and equipment
- Cleanliness and organization of shack and storage area
Store Manager / Shift Supervisor
The Store Manager / Shift Supervisor is responsible for the general well-being of the JiLLy’s Brand, your assigned store, its employees and all JiLLy’s customers. This position consists of many duties and obligations as listed below. This is just an outline of the duties that will be performed. Prior management / supervisor experience or prior JiLLy’s work experience is preferred.
- Responsible for working directly with other associates by assigning tasks and completing to-do lists
- Handle any customer complaints or inquiries
- Report directly to Director of Operations on a daily basis
- Responsible for overall shift duties and operations
- Problem solving
- Ability to motivate staff
- Be able to assume the roll and tasks of any in store position listed above
- Maintain a professional environment with associates and customers
- Uphold the JiLLy’s Brand as a family business
- The pay rate for most starting non-experienced, first time employees is $8.37 per hour
- Wages are paid on a weekly basis for all employees
- Most employees will work an average of 35 hours per week, however, there may be opportunities to work more or less hours if desired (overtime is not available)
- Bonus programs for staff starting pre-season and ending after Labor Day
- Pay raises based on work performance and merit
Benefits & Incentives
- Employee discounts to all JiLLy’s Stores
- Employee discounts to other participating businesses
- Discounted food for employees
- Performance & service related rewards and incentive programs with a variety of prizes such as: movie passes, dinner certificates, and more
- Flexible and fun work environment on the beautiful Ocean City, NJ Boardwalk
- Opportunity to work with and meet people from all over the world
- Opportunity to grow within a fast growing family business environment
- Paid onsite training
Operating Dates & Hours
- JiLLy’s Stores are open daily from mid-March through mid-October; however our main season (full time operation) extends from mid-June until mid-September
- The retail stores and food concessions are normally open from 9am until beyond midnight. JiLLy’s Arcade is open daily year round and 24 hours per day in the summer season
- Scheduling varies and can be flexible. Shifts can range from 6 hours at a time to 12 hours. Double shifts are also available, but we do not pay overtime. We pay the hourly rate for all the hours you work
- JiLLy’s Stores also maintains store hours in the off-season, as well as a full ecommerce website year-round
- Our training focuses on customer service and all details relating to your particular job description
- Food associates will receive specific job training, which details how to prepare, clean, and serve our products to the highest expectations and in accordance with NJ Board of Health standards
- Retail store associates will receive all the training needed to assist customers, merchandise store product, and organize inventory
- All employees receive paid training. Training continues throughout your progress with our company
- JiLLy’s Stores Sales Associates, Guest Service Representatives, Food Service Staff, Parking Lot Attendants, and Inventory Control Personnel are provided with JiLLy’s branded tshirts, sweatshirts, and hats
- Associates must provide themselves with at least two pairs of khaki colored, cotton shorts or pants and a closed toe, flat athletic shoe (trainers, sneakers, etc.). Denim is also acceptable
- All uniform attire must be conservative in nature with no tears or holes. Must fit properly and not be too big or too small. All associates must wear the proper attire to work
Appearance and Guidelines
- Visible tattoos are permitted provided that they are approved by management
- Any and all jewelry may be restricted for safety reasons. Necklaces must be kept inside shirts at all times for your safety
- Hairstyles and makeup should be neat; extreme styles or color are not permitted. If you have any questions, please ask
Apply by sending an email of interest, including a resume with dates available and CV to Jobs@JiLLysOC.com. We recommend that students interested in employment apply by April 1st.
Applicants with prior JiLLy’s Stores work experience may reapply by email at Jobs@JiLLysOC.com before April 1st, 2012. Please include in the subject line: FORMER EMPLOYEE.
A minimum work commitment of 12 weeks is required for Formal Job Offer.
JiLLy’s Stores only employs international university students who possess J1 Work and Travel Visas. You must possess a DS2019 form, a valid passport and the J1 visa. Failure to produce these documents will result in the withdrawal of your employment offer. Additionally, students who have previously worked in the US should bring their Social Security Card with them. For information about Work and Travel programs please visit: www.ciee.org.
The types of accommodations are typically apartments (flats) and rooming/boarding houses. Housing in Ocean City is plentiful. It will be your responsibility to make arrangements for housing. Once you arrive, our Recruiting Staff can assist you in finding housing if having trouble. There is no need to worry, no one has been stranded without housing and we will make every reasonable effort to assist you in your housing efforts.
Housing costs vary depending on several factors: location, arrival date, type of housing, and the amenities offered. The earlier you arrive in Ocean City, the better the choices will be. Those who arrive first get the cheapest, cleanest, most convenient housing. However, even if you arrive in late June and July you will find adequate housing. Rent can range anywhere from $75 -$140 per week, but the average rent is about $100 per week. Rent is usually paid weekly. Expect to be required to pay in cash a security deposit (usually $100) and your first week’s rent upon moving in. You should plan on the possibility of spending your first few nights in a motel; this will give you enough time to really look around and compare flats.
Standard of Living
Most housing in Ocean City is adequate. It can most accurately be compared to cheap college/university housing. The housing will not be grand, but it will be within walking distance to the beach and boardwalk, grocery stores, launderettes and work. You will want to find a safe, clean, conveniently located place, but keep in mind you won’t spend much time there so it doesn’t need a lot of extras. Do not expect to walk into flats with air conditioning, satellite TV, and pools out back. (Though there are a few places with these amenities). Accommodations are generally old and not equipped with modern amenities. They are furnished and usually provide bed linens and cooking supplies. Additionally, many of our summer employees have been able to find housing that offers wireless internet access.
Where to Live
Ocean City is not a large island and it is fairly easy to get around without a car. The beach and boardwalk are in walking or bicycle distance to most of the properties in the down town. We recommend anywhere from North Street to 19th street as ideal locations to commute to work. Anything further north or south is okay, but further than a 15-20 minute walk.
Click Here for Our Parental Permission Form